TOP 10 PRODUCTS TO REFILL AT A ZERO WASTE SHOP FOR A HEALTHIER HOME
1. DISH SOAP - Swap out conventional plastic bottles of dish soap for refillable or bar options. Opting for a zero waste dish soap prevents empty plastic bottles from ending up in a landfill or the ocean, where it can take hundreds of years to decompose. And when you stop using disposable plastic bottles, you’re also cutting down on your overall carbon footprint.
2. LAUNDRY DETERGENT - Switching to nontoxic and zero waste laundry detergents is a healthy choice for the planet – and for yourself. Most liquid laundry detergents are packaged in high-density polyethylene, a nonbiodegradable plastic made from petroleum. Nontoxic and zero waste laundry detergents can be made with natural and biodegradable ingredients, and are often packaged using recyclable materials.
3. ALL PURPOSE CLEANER - All-purpose cleaners are often laden with toxic chemicals that can linger on surfaces, in the air, or in our waterways. Zero waste all purpose cleaners, which can be made with 100% non-toxic ingredients, are just as effective as their destructive counterparts without the nasty impacts on your health and the environment.
4. AIR FRESHENER - Adopting nontoxic and zero waste air fresheners is a healthy way to purify your home without using synthetic chemicals. Nontoxic air fresheners can be made with cleansing natural fragrances, including essential oils, rosemary, and aloe vera. There’s no need to compromise air quality when sustainable, non-toxic and zero waste alternatives are available.
5. FLOOR CLEANER - Maintain clean and toxin-free floors by refilling your floor cleaner. Look for plant-based formulas that are safe for different floor types and gentle on the environment. Traditional floor cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can pose health risks. Zero waste alternatives are a much safer choice for those who come in contact with floor surfaces, including babies and dogs.
6. BATHROOM ESSENTIALS - When it comes to nontoxic and zero waste shampoos and soaps, less is more. Ditch the clunky plastic shampoo bottles for a sustainable shampoo bar, which can come in biodegradable paper packaging. Switching to zero waste bathroom essentials can also save you money in the long run because they last longer than their bottled alternatives – up to nine months, even with daily use.
7. WINDOW AND GLASS CLEANER - Look for nontoxic and zero waste window and glass cleaners that are free from ammonia and other harsh chemicals. Nontoxic and zero waste cleaners can get a streak-free shine on your windows and mirrors with completely natural ingredients, including essential oils. Plus, refilling your glass cleaner instead of tossing a plastic bottle promotes a healthier home environment and reduces plastic waste.
8. GLASS CONTAINERS - Glass is a non-toxic, durable, and long-term alternative to plastic. By opting for glass containers, you reduce exposure to the harmful chemicals in plastic bottles that can seep into your food, drinks, or cleaners. Glass containers are easy to wash and can be reused indefinitely, eliminating nonbiodegradable plastic from landfills and the ocean.
9. HAND SOAP - Opt for natural and gentle hand soap formulations that don’t contain harsh ingredients like sulfates and artificial fragrances. Zero waste hand soaps are often packaged in refillable or compostable packaging, which reduces your waste and carbon footprint.
10. PET CARE PRODUCTS - Refill pet products with nontoxic and zero waste pet shampoos, conditioners, and grooming sprays. Nontoxic pet products are great for furry friends, who could be sensitive to the synthetic fragrances and chemical detergents used in most pet shampoos today. The natural ingredients used in zero waste pet products reduces the possibility of short- or long-term reactions to the soaps and shampoos that keep our pets clean.